Welcome to kindergarten in District 196!
We have 19 outstanding elementary schools, all of which provide excellent teachers and an engaging curriculum in language arts, math, social studies and science. In addition, students attend music, physical education and library/media classes. The information below provides resources to help prepare all incoming kindergarten families.
A child is eligible for kindergarten if he or she will be 5 years old on or before September 1 of the year he or she will begin school.
- Early entrance guidelines are available for parents wishing to enroll students who do not meet the age requirement. Parents may also call 651-423-7739 for more information on early entrance to kindergarten.
- Minnesota requires that all children complete a free screening to detect any health and/or developmental concerns prior to entering kindergarten in a public school. District 196 encourages early childhood screening between three and four years of age. This allows time for a preschool experience or other social/educational opportunities to benefit the child. Please visit the Early Childhood Screening page or contact Early Childhood Screening at 651-423-7899 for more information.
Selecting a school for your child is an exciting process. We offer many excellent school choices for your child — including five elementary magnet schools. A magnet school has a theme-based learning environment. This theme is woven into how most classes are taught and expressed.
Your child may attend the neighborhood school in the attendance area where you live or you may apply for your child to attend a magnet school. Families who live outside of District 196 can open enroll into the district through the State Enrollment Options Program. Additionally, interdistrict transfer options allow District 196 students to transfer to another District 196 school.
Kindergarten Entrance Checklist
- Early Childhood Screening: Minnesota requires that all children complete a free screening to detect any health and/or developmental concerns prior to entering kindergarten in a public school. District 196 encourages early childhood screening between three and four years of age. This allows time for a preschool experience or other social/educational opportunities to benefit the child. Appointments are automatically scheduled using the district’s mailing list, or you may call and schedule your own appointment at 651-423-7899. The screening is offered free to residents.
- Preregister for kindergarten online! Visit your elementary school website and click the “Kindergarten Preregistration” button. If you don’t know your attendance area school, use the school attendance area locator. It is helpful but not necessary, to have a copy of your child’s preschool screening certificate and immunization record available to upload when completing the preregistration form.
- Complete registration at your attendance area school during Kindergarten Registration Days. Here’s what you need to bring:
- A birth certificate, passport, or other evidence of your child’s age;
- Proof of early childhood screening if you did not submit the certificate online only if your child was screened outside of District 196, and
- A copy of your child’s current immunization record, medical exemption or conscientious objection, if you did not submit these documents online.
- If applicable, please provide day care information for your child (name, address, phone number).
School Attendance Area Locator
Use the school attendance area locator tool or call 651-423-7640 to locate your child’s neighborhood area school.