Preschoolers between the ages of 3 1/2 and 4 years old who live in Independent School District 196 need to participate in a screening before entering kindergarten. Appointments are automatically scheduled using the district’s mailing list, or you may call and schedule your own appointment at 651-423-7899. District 196 screening is offered free to district residents.
Children should be screen before their fourth birthday. Early screening will confirm that your child is either progressing normally or experiencing delays that will benefit from early intervention.
Appointments are automatically scheduled using the district’s mailing list, or you may call and schedule your own appointment at 651-423-7899. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- vision and hearing check
- growth evaluation
- immunization review
- developmental screening using a Minnesota state approved standardized tool
- family health and development review
- information and resources for your child
It does not include recommendations on whether your child is ready for kindergarten. Kindergarten entrance is based on the state age criteria of 5 years of age on or before September 1 and a parent’s decision.
Screening offers a snapshot of your child’s health and development. It may indicate the need for further health or developmental assessment. This allows time for early intervention before the start of kindergarten.
District 196 screening is offered free to district residents. Screening takes place at the District Service Center located at 14301 Diamond Path in Apple Valley, Minnesota. Minnesota State screening requirements may also take place through another school district, a physician’s office, the Head Start program or Public Health.
- A licensed teacher and a registered nurse will screen your child; or
- Your family physician may do the screening if a state approved developmental tool is used. Check with your doctor’s office to see if their screening meets the state’s requirements; or
- Children who attend Head Start or Early Childhood Special Education programs may not need to be screened.
District 196 Service Center