GRADE FOUR - Expectations
The main focus for the fourth graders is to develop students who love learning. Fourth graders will build a global perspective for a better world through the inquiry process. Students will be expected to follow the values of Diamond Path (collaboration, respect, perseverance, optimism, integrity and inquiry).
A challenge for fourth graders is learning to become responsible. Fourth graders use planners to help organize their homework and to be responsible for their own work. Support from parents is crucial. Parents are asked to provide time and space for their children so that they can be successful in completing homework and in being organized. The message is stressed that the student is responsible for his/her homework, not the parent. Each student is different and the amount of help varies throughout the year.
- 2 hours of independent reading a week (20 minutes for 6 days)
- 10 minutes a night on spelling/word study
- 15 minutes a night on a math related activity (math practice sheets, krypto, facts practice)
- Math word problems and Krypto sent home twice a week
- occasionally some assigned writing pieces
There will also be other pieces of homework that happen at different times throughout the year. Please check and sign planners nightly.