Register for Kindergarten
Early Childhood Screening | Registering for Kindergarten
| State Requirements for Screening
How to Register for Kindergarten
- Complete Early Childhood Screening. Please visit All About Early Childhood Screening for information on how and when to make an appointment.
- Find Your School. Nineteen public elementary schools are available in District 196. If you live in this district, your are automatically assigned to a school. To find your attendance area elementary school, please visit District 196 attendance boundaries. Five of our elemetary schools are magnet schools. Learn more about Magnet Schools and the enrollment process for students not living in the magnet school attendance area.
- Complete kindergarten registration in the spring. Kindergarten registration is in January of the year that your child will start school. A kindergarten registration packet will automatically be sent to you if you have completed screening before January. If your child was screened after January 1, please call your local school and ask for a packet to be sent to you.
- Obtain records required for kindergarten registration.
- Birth Certificate, Passport or other compatible documentation. If you do not have the birth certificate, call the county where your child was born.
- Dakota County, Government Center in Hastings - 651.438.4313
- Hennepin County, Service Centers - 612.348.8240
- Ramsey County, Public Health Center in St. Paul - 651.292.7728
- Immunization Record. Call your child’s health care provider for an up-to-date immunization record. Your child may NOT attend school in Minnesota without appropriate immunization records or a legal exemption signed by a health care provider or a conscientious objection signed by a parent/guardian and notarized. There is NO grace period.
- Proof of Screening. District 196 will notify your child’s elementary school that screening has been completed.
- Attend Orientation. All elementary schools schedule a Kindergarten Orientation in the spring. The dates for your child’s school will be listed in the kindergarten registration packet.
- Early Entrance. Chilldren who turn 5 before September 2 do not have to be assessed to attend kindergarten in the fall. District 196 will assess children for early entrance to kindergarten for the upcoming school year by following the early entrance guidelines. Children born between September 2 and October 31 are considered the best candidates for this optional assessment. The early entrance assessment is designed to select students who demonstrate superior cognitive development.There is a cost for the early entrance assessment. Scholarships are available for parents who qualify based on federal standards for free or reduced-price school meal guidelines. For further information, please call 651.423.7782.
If you have further questions please feel free to call the school your child will attend.