Science notebooks can be used to help students develop, practice, and refine the science understanding, while also enhancing reading, writing, mathematics and communications.
Characteristics of Inquiry-Based Instruction
* Teachers create situations for students to solve problems.
* Students make connections to previous knowledge.
* Students bring their own questions to learning.
* Students design a way to try out their own ideas.
* Investigations may extend over a long period of time.
* Students communicate through journal writing, oral presentations, drawing, graphing, charting, etc.
* Students revise explanations as they learn.
Courtesy of http://omp.gso.uri.edu/gk-12/scinqry.htm