Homeschool | Nonpublic Education
The Community Education Department is the designee contact for School District 196 nonpublic/homeschool education.
Nonpublic/homeschools must comply with state requirements in accordance with the Minnesota Compulsory Instruction Law. This information is to be reported to the Community Education office by October 1 of each year or at any time during the year when the educational status of a school-age child changes. The law requires each public school district to annually report to the state the compliance status of all school-age children living within its boundaries.
Community Education annually hosts an orientation for homeschool families. It will be held August 23, 2016, at the District Office, 3455 153rd Street West, Rosemount, in the Dakota Room from 6:30 to 7:30pm. This is a great way to network within the homeschool community, obtain appropriate paperwork and get questions answered. We would love to see you there!
For additional information, contact the Office of the Community Education Director at 651-423-7722 or send an email to Lisa.Coan@district196.org.
2015-2016 Homeschool Forms
To be compliant with MN state law, the following paperwork is needed by October 1.
- MDE Full Report (If a family did not homeschool last year) or MDE Letter of Intent to Continue Report (for families that homeschooled last year)
- District approved nationally normed standardized test that will be given (list of choices)
- Immunization Form and Requirements (if not already on file or if the student is going into 7th grade)
Optional Forms and Policies
- Co-Curricular Activity Forms (for students in 7-12 grade, turned into the Community Education Office) and Policy
- Curricular Course Forms (classes)/Shared Time (for students in 9-12 grade, turned into the Community Education Office) and Policy
- MN Homeschool Drivers Education Classes
- Post Secondary Enrollment Option
- Sample Report Card
- Homeschool District 196 Programs and Services
- Homeschool Resources
Useful Information for Homeschool and Nonpublic School
- Deciding to Homeschool
- Information About Homeschooling
- MDE Report for Aid Reimbursement Request form (to be eligible, it must be turned in to the Community Education office by October 1) and District Aid Reimbursement Receipt form (to be turned in, with receipts, to the Community Education office by April 30, 2015). Items may be purchased between July 1, 2014 and April 30, 2015. Guidelines for reimbursement eligibility (please keep in mind if you receive tax dollars to help pay for an item, the district technically becomes the owner and can request the item at the end of the school year, along with taking back electronics if misused by district guidelines. Therefore, District 196 needs to be the registered owner of all items purchased with tax dollars).
- District 196 Calendar
- MN State Statutes
- District 196 Community Education contact Lisa Coan, Homeschool Liaison, 15180 Canada Drive, Rosemount, MN 55068, tel 651-423-7722, fax 651-423-7770
Community Education annually hosts an orientation for nonpublic schools within district boundaries. Schools receive information about compliance requirements and available programs and services. It will be held May 25, 2016, at the District Office, 3455 153rd Street West, Rosemount, from 1 to 2pm.
2015-16 Traditional Nonpublic Education Deadlines (Most forms are distributed directly to the school)
|Due Date||What is due?|
|April 10, 2015||
|June 19, 2015||
|October 1, 2015||
Other useful information for nonpublic schools:
- Traditional Nonpublic School Programs and Services
- Immunization Form and Requirements
- Nonpublic Student Transportation Policy
- Transportation Reimbursement Request
- Independent School District 196 Transportation Website
- Contact District 196 Transportation: Transportation@district196.org, Tel: 651-423-7685; Fax: 651-423-7666, 15180 Canada Drive, Rosemount, MN 55068.