The Community Education Department is the designee contact for School District 196 nonpublic/homeschool education.
Nonpublic/homeschools must comply with state requirements in accordance with the Minnesota Compulsory Instruction Law. This information is to be reported to the Community Education office by October 1 of each year or at any time during the year when the educational status of a school-age child changes. The law requires each public school district to annually report to the state the compliance status of all school-age children living within its boundaries.
Important New Statute Changes:
The compulsory attendance age rose from age 16 to age 17 (M.S. 120A.22 Subdivision 5). This means students may not withdraw from school until they reach age 17 or have graduated from high school. It also affects homeschool reporting (M.S. 120A.24) and testing age requirements (102A.24, subdivision 11). A full report or letter of intent must be submitted and a district approved nationally normed test must be given to children who have not reached the age of 17 on or before October 1 of the current school year. Click here for more information.
Community Education annually hosts an orientation for homeschool families. It will be held August 19, 2014, at the District Office, 3455 153rd Street West, Rosemount, in the Dakota Room from 6:30 to 7:30pm. This is a great way to network within the homeschool community, obtain appropriate paperwork and get questions answered. We would love to see you there!
For additional information, contact the Office of the Community Education Director at 651-423-7722 or send an email to Lisa.Coan@district196.org.
2014-15 Homeschool Forms
To be compliant with MN state law, the following paperwork is needed by October 1.
Optional Forms and Policies
Useful Information for Homeschool and Nonpublic School
- Frequently Asked Questions
- MDE Report for Aid Reimbursement Request form (to be eligible, it must be turned in to the Community Education office by October 1) and District Aid Reimbursement Receipt form (to be turned in, with receipts, to the Community Education office by April 30, 2015). Items may be purchased between July 1, 2014 and April 30, 2015. Guidelines for reimbursement eligibility (please keep in mind if you receive tax dollars to help pay for an item, the district technically becomes the owner and can request the item at the end of the school year, along with taking back electronics if misused by district guidelines. Therefore, District 196 needs to be the registered owner of all items purchased with tax dollars).
- District 196 Calendar
- MN State Statutes
- MN Department of Education contact Cindy JacksonCindy Jackson, Enrollment Options Specialist, 651-582-8572
- District 196 Community Education contact Lisa Coan, Homeschool Liaison, 15180 Canada Drive, Rosemount, MN 55068, tel 651-423-7722, fax 651-423-7770
Traditional Nonpublic Education
Community Education annually hosts an orientation for nonpublic schools within district boundaries. Schools receive information about compliance requirements and available programs and services. It will be held May 28, 2014, at the District Office, 3455 153rd Street West, Rosemount, in the Dakota Room from 1 to 2pm.
|2014-15 Traditional Nonpublic Education Deadlines (most forms are distributed directly to the school)
||What is due?
|March 10, 2014
- Nonpublic Schools Reimbursement Agreement
- Estimated MDE Report for Aid Reimbursement Request form
|April 4, 2014
|June 20, 2014
- Add Drop Report Form
- Enrollment Report, updated by school
|October 1, 2014
- Bus Safety Annual Reporting Information Form (due by October 31st.)
- MDE Nonpublic Fall Report. (Send original to MDE by November 15th and a copy to the Community Education office.)
Other useful information for nonpublic schools: