The Community Education Department is the designee contact for School District 196 nonpublic/homeschool education.
Nonpublic/homeschools must comply with state requirements in accordance with the Minnesota Compulsory Instruction Law. This information is to be reported to the Community Education office by October 1 of each year or at any time during the year when the educational status of a school-age child changes. The law requires each public school district to annually report to the state the compliance status of all school-age children living within its boundaries.
Shared-time courses are available to District 196 families who are homeschooling their children in 2015-16: All students who wish to participate in shared time must register annually. District 196 nonpublic homeschool students in grades 9-12 may enroll in a maximum of two high school courses per grading period. Band is also available for students in grades 5-8. Students attend the school in their attendance area. The deadline to register for shared-time courses offered in 2015-16 is June 1; The Curricular Course Form needs to be submitted to the Community Education office, or call 651-423-7722 for more information.
Community Education annually hosts an orientation for homeschool families. It will be held August 18, 2015, at the District Office, 3455 153rd Street West, Rosemount, in the Dakota Room from 6:30 to 7:30pm. This is a great way to network within the homeschool community, obtain appropriate paperwork and get questions answered. We would love to see you there!
For additional information, contact the Office of the Community Education Director at 651-423-7722 or send an email to Lisa.Coan@district196.org.
2014-15 Homeschool Forms
To be compliant with MN state law, the following paperwork is needed by October 1.
Optional Forms and Policies
Useful Information for Homeschool and Nonpublic School
- Deciding to Homeschool
- Information About Homeschooling
- MDE Report for Aid Reimbursement Request form (to be eligible, it must be turned in to the Community Education office by October 1) and District Aid Reimbursement Receipt form (to be turned in, with receipts, to the Community Education office by April 30, 2015). Items may be purchased between July 1, 2014 and April 30, 2015. Guidelines for reimbursement eligibility (please keep in mind if you receive tax dollars to help pay for an item, the district technically becomes the owner and can request the item at the end of the school year, along with taking back electronics if misused by district guidelines. Therefore, District 196 needs to be the registered owner of all items purchased with tax dollars).
- District 196 Calendar
- MN State Statutes
- MN Department of Education contact Cindy JacksonCindy Jackson, Enrollment Options Specialist, 651-582-8572
- District 196 Community Education contact Lisa Coan, Homeschool Liaison, 15180 Canada Drive, Rosemount, MN 55068, tel 651-423-7722, fax 651-423-7770
Traditional Nonpublic Education
Community Education annually hosts an orientation for nonpublic schools within district boundaries. Schools receive information about compliance requirements and available programs and services. It will be held May 26, 2015, at the District Office, 3455 153rd Street West, Rosemount, in the Dakota Room from 1 to 2pm.
|2015-16 Traditional Nonpublic Education Deadlines (most forms are distributed directly to the school)
||What is due?
- Nonpublic Schools Reimbursement Agreement
- Estimated MDE Report for Aid Reimbursement Request form
|April 10, 2015
|June 19, 2015
- Add Drop Report Form
- Enrollment Report, updated by school
|October 1, 2015
- Bus Safety Annual Reporting Information Form (due by October 30th.)
- MDE Nonpublic Fall Report. (Send original to MDE by November 17th and a copy to the Community Education office.)
Other useful information for nonpublic schools: