Immunization clinics will be held at five District 196 schools in late August. Immunizations will be given to any District 196 student or sibling ages 6 months to 18 years who still needs to receive required immunizations before the start of the 2019-20 school year. Families who are insured should bring their health insurance card. Families who are uninsured or underinsured can receive the immunizations at no charge, but donations will be accepted.
The immunization clinics will be held according to the following schedule:
- Cedar Park Elementary School of STEM, 7500 Whitney Dr. in Apple Valley – Tuesday, Aug. 20, from 4:30 to 7 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 21 from 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Echo Park Elementary School of Leadership, Engineering and Technology, 14100 County Rd. 11 in Burnsville – Tuesday, Aug. 20, from 2:15 to 3:30 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 21, from 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- Oak Ridge Elementary School of Leadership, Environmental and Health Sciences, 4350 Johnny Cake Ridge Rd. in Eagan – Tuesday, Aug. 20 from noon to 1:30 p.m. and Wednesday, Aug. 21, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Apple Valley High School, 14450 Hayes Rd. in Apple Valley – Wednesday, Aug. 28, from 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- Valley Middle School of STEM, 900 Garden View Dr. in Apple Valley – Wednesday, Aug. 28, from 5:15 to 7 p.m.
The immunizations will be administered by licensed nurses with Homeland Health Specialists, a private company, as part of an agreement with the district. If unsure whether your child needs to receive required immunizations, a District 196 nurse will be available at each site to look up the child’s immunization records that are on file with their school.
To enroll in school in Minnesota, parents must show that their child has had the required immunizations for their age or file a legal exemption. Parents may file a medical exemption signed by a health care provider or a conscientious objection signed by a parent or guardian and notarized. To review the immunization requirements, go to www.district196.org/student-services/health-services/immunization-requirements.
A record of the required immunizations or legal exemption must be on file with the school nurse before the first day of school on Sept. 3, 2019. Students will not be able to attend school until they have shown proof of vaccination or legal exemption.
For more information about the immunizations, contact your child’s school nurse.