Students representing the journalism and video production programs at Apple Valley and Eastview (pictured) high schools won 12 of the 24 Crystal Pillar Awards presented at the regional Student Production Awards ceremony April 12 in Bloomington.
The Student Production Awards are sponsored by the Upper Midwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The award winners from Apple Valley and Eastview are listed below, by category.
- Newscast (two awards): EaglEye, Apple Valley High, “Newscast #169;” Antonio deLugo and Emily Westcott, anchors, and members of the EaglEye crew. The Flash, Eastview High, “Sept. 13, 2018 Newscast;” Joey Mayer and Jake Brockman, anchors, and reporters Olivia Cuoco, Tyler Tschida and Jillian Lamkins.
- General Assignment-Serious News: Apple Valley High, “One of Ours: Aaron Johnson;” Connie Knipe, camera/editor, and Hunter Bertram, talent.
- General Assignment-Light News: Eastview High School, “Snackin’ with Syd;” Sydney Lacher, reporter.
- Short Form Fiction: Eastview High School, “Anime Badminton: Family Legacy;” Brady Schlaefer, writer/director/special effects; John Brockman, Simi Hill, Joey Mayer and Tyler Tschida, actors, and Sky Waters, graphics.
- Long Form Non-Fiction: Eastview High School, “One Day At A Time;” The Flash crew.
- Public Affairs/Community Service: Eastview High, “Giving,” Iqra Ismail, reporter/editor.
- Magazine: Eastview High, “Play for Patrick;” Jillian Lamkins and Olivia Cuoco, anchors; Jon Singer, reporter/editor, and Emma Rae Roberts, graphics.
- Animation/Graphics/Special Effects: Brady Schlaefer, Eastview High.
- Photographer: Brady Schlaefer, Eastview High.
- Video Essay: Eastview High, “Just Do It;” Will Verduzco, editor, and The Flash crew.
- Writing: Connie Knipe, Apple Valley High.
Staff advisors at Apple Valley are Cliff Dodge and Drew McCluskey, and the advisor at Eastview High is Nick Fornicoia.