ROSEMOUNT, Minn. – Fifty-four District 196 seniors are receiving special recognition this fall for scores they achieved on a national standardized test taken last year as juniors.
Seven of the 54 students have been named semifinalists in the 2019 National Merit Scholarship Program, 45 are being recognized as National Merit commended students and two were selected for the National Hispanic Recognition Program.
Names of the semifinalists in this 64th annual scholarship program were released Sept. 12 by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. The seven National Merit semifinalists from District 196 are:
- – Brady LaBahn of Apple Valley High School;
- – Elisabeth Duffy, Kevin Huang and Emily Hull of Eagan High School;
- – John Kotrba of Eastview High School, and
- – Olivia Alberts and Michelle Quan of Rosemount High School.
Students are selected for recognition in the National Merit Scholarship Program based on their scores on the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT), which they take as juniors. Semifinalists rank in the top 1 percent of the approximately 1.6 million high school juniors who took the test last year in the United States. The semifinalists may submit additional information to be considered for selection as a finalist. Students named National Merit finalists will compete for some 7,500 scholarships totaling more than $31 million that will be awarded next spring by businesses, colleges and universities, and the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Students whose scores on the PSAT/NMSQT rank them in the top 5 percent of students nationwide receive letters of commendation in recognition of their outstanding academic promise. In District 196, the following 45 seniors are 2019 National Merit commended students:
- – Jack Glad, Elise Gort, Amanda Jackson and Nicholas Pederson of Apple Valley High;
- – Marissa Amerongen, Jared Dawson, Safwan Diwan, Eva Erickson, Lauren Ferg, Morgan Hamernik, Riley Kazukiewicz, Jennifer Lenertz, Noah Maddio, Elizabeth Moon, Jacob Rutzick, Aidan Schmidt, Sarah Schuller, Graham Scott and Saksham Vashistha of Eagan High;
- – Siddharth Addagudi, Josephine Bierbaum, Connor Block, Austin Bodin, Jozie Burns, Samuel Erickson, Ronit Gupta, Jesse Laursen, Oliver Matte, Ryan McClure, Sanjana Molleti, Jack Moody, Patrik Nehete, Sakthi Saravanapandi, Margarita Sytcheva, Kenny Ta, Robert Thai, Elizabeth Zarate and Mulan Zhu of Eastview High, and
- – Jennika Bunney, Abigail Doran, Sydney Essler, Sophia Kucera, Jacob Liggett, Justin Rygg and Aquila Schachel of Rosemount High.
In addition, Erica Broeker and Marina Navarro of Eagan High were selected for the National Hispanic Recognition Program, sponsored by The College Board, based on their scores on the PSAT/NMSQT last year.