ROSEMOUNT, Minn. – Jackie Magnuson was elected chairperson of the District 196 School Board for 2018 at the board’s annual organization meeting Jan. 8. This will be Magnuson’s 11th year as chairperson during her 29 years on the board. She was first elected in 1989 and previously served as chairperson in 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016 and 2017.
The Jan. 8 organization meeting started with Craig Angrimson, Art Coulson and Mike Roseen taking the oath of office. All three were elected to four-year terms in the Nov. 7 School Board election.
After electing Magnuson chairperson, the board elected Joel Albright vice chairperson, Sachin Isaacs clerk and Coulson treasurer for this year. The board also approved assignments to board committees and organizations on which the School Board is represented.
School Board committee assignments through December 2018 are as follows:
- • Audit and Finance Committee – Bob Schutte, chairperson, Angrimson and Roseen;
- • Curriculum and Instruction Committee – Isaacs, chairperson, Magnuson and Schutte;
- • Legislative Committee – Coulson, chairperson, Albright and Magnuson, and
- • Policy Review Committee – Albright, chairperson, Coulson and Isaacs.
The following appointments were also approved for the year:
- • Association of Metropolitan School Districts – Albright and Schutte;
- • Community Collaboration Council – Isaacs and Magnuson;
- • Community Education Advisory Council – Isaacs, Roseen and Schutte;
- • Continuing Education/Vocational Relicensure – Magnuson;
- • Gifted and Talented Advisory Council – Magnuson;
- • Metropolitan Educational Cooperative Service Unit – Magnuson;
- • Minnesota State High School League – Angrimson and Roseen;
- • Native American Parent Advisory Committee – Coulson;
- • Quality Compensation Educational Improvement Planning Team – Magnuson;
- • Schools for Equity in Education – Albright and Schutte;
- • Special Education Advisory Council – Albright, and
- • Wellness Committee – Angrimson.
The School Board holds regular meetings on Mondays at least once each month according to a schedule approved by the board each spring. Regular meetings begin at 6 p.m. at Dakota Ridge School, 4629 144th St. W., Apple Valley. All regular meetings are videotaped for playback on District 196 TV and are available to stream the morning following each regular meeting.