District 196 will be holding a general election on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2017 to elect three of the seven at-large positions on its School Board. Voters can cast their ballot on Election Day at their designated school district polling place, by absentee ballot beginning Sept. 22 or through early in-person voting during the week before Election Day.
Eight candidates filed for the election during the two-week filing period in August, including incumbents Art Coulson of Apple Valley, Gary Huusko of Eagan and Mike Roseen of Apple Valley, and challengers Craig Angrimson of Apple Valley, Brian Buechele of Lakeville, Rebecca Gierok of Apple Valley, Daniel O’Neil of Eagan and Bianca Ward Virnig of Eagan. The terms of Coulson, Huusko and Roseen expire Jan. 1, 2018. The new terms for all three at-large positions run from January 2018 to January 2022.
Absentee voting begins Sept. 22. Voters do not need a reason to vote by absentee ballot. Absentee ballots can be completed by mail or in person at the District Office in Rosemount, 3455 153rd St. W., or at one of the Dakota County government centers located in Apple Valley, Hastings and West St. Paul.
To absentee vote by mail, voters may download an application from the district website at District196.org and mail the completed application as directed in the application materials. Once an application is received and processed, an absentee ballot will be mailed to the voter along with instructions for completing and returning their ballot in the postage-paid envelope that is provided with the ballot. If the person applying for an absentee ballot is not registered to vote, a voter registration application will be mailed with the absentee ballot and the completed voter registration application should be returned along with the ballot. Voter registration can also be completed online at the Secretary of State’s website at mnvotes.org.
Early In-Person Voting
Early in-person voting will be offered Tuesday, Oct. 31 through Monday, Nov. 6, each business day during regular office hours at the District Office in Rosemount (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with extended hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on November 6), as well as at the Dakota County Administration Center in Hastings, 1590 Highway 55 (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with extended hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on November 6).
Election Day Voting
Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 7. The 14 combined school district precincts are listed below, along with the polling location and city precincts included in each. If voters are unsure about where they should vote, they can go to www.mnvotes.org or call the Superintendent’s Office at 651-423-7725.
- Precinct 1 – Berean Baptist Church, 309 County Road 42 E., Burnsville; includes all of Burnsville in District 196, including Burnsville precincts 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17.
- Precinct 2 – Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 16200 Dodd Lane, Lakeville; includes Lakeville precincts 12, 14, 15 and 16, Empire Township and Farmington precinct 5.
- Precinct 3 – Apple Valley Senior Center, 14601 Hayes Road, Apple Valley; includes Apple Valley precincts 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Precinct 4 – Mount Olivet Assembly of God Church, 14201 Cedar Avenue, Apple Valley; includes Apple Valley precincts 5A, 5B and 8.
- Precinct 5 – Apple Valley Municipal Center, 7100 147th Street W., Apple Valley; includes Apple Valley precincts 6, 12, 14 and 15.
- Precinct 6 – District 196 Service Center, 14445 Diamond Path, Rosemount; includes Apple Valley precincts 9, 11 and 13.
- Precinct 7 – Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, 12650 Johnny Cake Ridge Road, Apple Valley; includes Apple Valley precincts 7 and 10.
- Precinct 8 – Our Saviors Church, 14980 Diamond Path, Rosemount; includes Rosemount precincts 1, 3 and 5.
- Precinct 9 – Community of Hope Church, 14401 Biscayne Avenue W., Rosemount; includes Rosemount precincts 2, 4, 6 and 7, Coates and Vermillion Township.
EAGAN/INVER GROVE HEIGHTS
- Precinct 10 – St. Thomas Becket Church, 4455 South Robert Trail, Eagan; includes Eagan precincts 15 and 17, and Inver Grove Heights precincts 1, 2 and 3.
- Precinct 11 – Eagan Fire Safety Center, 1001 Station Trail, Eagan; includes Eagan precincts 1, 3, 7 and 8.
- Precinct 12 – Easter Lutheran Church, 4200 Pilot Knob Road, Eagan; includes Eagan precincts 6A, 6B and 13.
- Precinct 13 – Christ Lutheran Church, 1930 Diffley Road, Eagan; includes Eagan precincts 4, 5B, 9A, 9B, 10 and 11.
- Precinct 14 – Chapel Hill Church, 4888 Pilot Knob Road, Eagan; includes Eagan precincts 12, 14 and 16.