Jackie Magnuson was elected chairperson of the District 196 School Board for 2017 at the board’s annual organization meeting Jan. 9. This will be Magnuson’s 10th year as chairperson during her 28 years on the board. She was first elected in 1989 and previously served as chairperson in 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2016.
The board also elected Gary Huusko to be vice chairperson, Joel Albright as clerk and Bob Schutte as treasurer this year and approved assignments to four board committees and organizations on which the School Board is represented.
School Board committee assignments through December 2017 are as follows:
- Audit and Finance Committee — Schutte, chairperson, Huusko and Sachin Isaacs;
- Curriculum and Instruction Committee — Magnuson, chairperson, Albright, Schutte and Art Coulson;
- Legislative Committee — Coulson, chairperson, Huusko and Magnuson, and
- Policy Review Committee — Albright, chairperson, Huusko and Mike Roseen.
The following appointments were also approved for the year:
- Association of Metropolitan School Districts — Albright and Schutte;
- Community Collaboration Council — Magnuson and Isaacs;
- Community Education Advisory Council — Huusko, Isaacs and Roseen;
- Continuing Education/Vocational Relicensure — Magnuson;
- Gifted and Talented Advisory Council — Coulson;
- Metropolitan Educational Cooperative Service Unit — Magnuson;
- Minnesota State High School League — Huusko and Roseen;
- Native American Parent Advisory Committee — Coulson;
- Quality Compensation Educational Improvement Planning Team — Magnuson;
- Schools for Equity in Education — Albright and Schutte, and
- Special Education Advisory Council — Albright.
The School Board holds regular meetings on Mondays at least once each month according to a schedule approved by the board each spring. Regular meetings begin at 6 p.m. at Dakota Ridge School, 4629 144th St. W., Apple Valley. All regular meetings are videotaped for playback on District 196 TV and are available to webstream the morning following each regular meeting. For more information, go to the School Board web page.