Gifted and Talented Services in District 196
District 196 provides gifted and talented students with an array of opportunities to meet a variety of needs.
Definition of gifted and talented students
- Gifted and talented children are those students with outstanding abilities, identified at preschool, elementary and secondary levels. These students are capable of high performance when compared to others of similar age, experience, and environment and represent the diverse populations of our communities.
- Gifted and talented children have potential which requires differentiated and challenging educational programs and/or services beyond those provided in the general school program.
- Gifted and talented children are capable of high performance and include, but are not limited to, those with demonstrated achievement or potential ability in any one or more of creativity, leadership, and visual and performing arts.
- Gifted and talented children have significantly different educational needs from their peers and should be provided an environment that supports those needs.
- Gifted and talented children require educational differentiation as a regular part of their school day.
- Gifted and talented children have needs that should be met through shared responsibility within the educational community
- Gifted and talented children need to be identified using multiple criteria
- Gifted and talented children are found within all ages and genders, cultures, socioeconomic, racial and ethnic groups
- Gifted and talented children require teachers who receive ongoing training gifted education
- Curriculum and instruction: Gifted education services encompass curricular and instructional opportunities directed to the unique needs of the gifted student including differentiated curriculum and opportunities for subject and grade acceleration.
- Program Design: The development of appropriate gifted education programming requires comprehensive services based on sound philosophical, theoretical and empirical support. This includes a continuum of services for gifted learners and appropriately funded gifted education programming that is an integral part of the school day.
- Guidance and Counseling: Through gifted education programming students will be offered differentiated guidance efforts. These efforts may include strategies to address affective needs, underachievement, at-risk behaviors, and career programming.
- Professional Development: Gifted learners will be served by professionals with expertise in differentiated content and instructional methods.
- Student Identification: Gifted learners are assessed to determine appropriate educational services. A coordinated comprehensive and cohesive process determines eligibility for gifted education services, using multiple criteria..
For specific information about goals see policy 610 under Board Policy.