The Legal Department provides a variety of legal services to the district on matters related to student and employee discipline, special education, personnel and labor relations, and risk management. The department also provides general legal counsel in areas such as contract review and statutory compliance and drafts and updates district policies, regulations and procedures for the School Board.
District 196 established the department in 1996 as a cost-savings measure. Since that time, the district has reduced the amount spent on legal services by reducing the need to hire outside legal counsel.
For more information, contact Jill Coyle, school district attorney at 651-423-7883.
- District 196 Policies, Regulations and Procedures
- Students Rights and Responsibilities
- Minnesota Department of Education
- Minnesota Statutes and Rules
- Minnesota Courts and Court Opinions
- United States District Court – District of Minnesota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court