The School Board is the governing body of the district, responsible for developing policy to ensure the proper care, management and control of district affairs, and supporting the mission of educating our students to reach their full potential. The board also hires the superintendent; approves staff hirings, resignations, terminations and leaves of absence; sets the annual local school levy; approves expenditures; approves educational programs (curriculum), and otherwise ensures that proper facilities and equipment are available to support teaching and learning in the district.
District voters elect, at large, seven residents who are United States citizens, at least 21 years of age upon taking office and not registered as a convicted sex offender. Members are elected to four-year terms on the November general election day in odd-numbered years. Four members are up for election one year and the other three are up for election two years later.
The School Board holds regular meetings on Mondays at least once each month according to a schedule approved by the board each spring. Regular meetings begin at 6 p.m. at Dakota Ridge School, 4629 144th St. W., Apple Valley. All regular meetings are videotaped for playback on District 196 TV on local education access channels and are available to webstream on demand at District196.org the morning following each regular meeting.
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Approval of Agenda
- Special Communication Request
- Open Forum
- Old Business
- New Business
- Other Action
- School Board Member and Superintendent Updates
Members of the public may participate in School Board meetings during the Open Forum and Special Communication Request portions of the agenda, and by addressing items brought up under Reports, Old Business, New Business and Other Action. Click here for more information on public participation at meetings.
School Board meetings can be viewed on demand, by agenda topic, via the district’s webstream services. Board meetings are also replayed on the three cable television systems that serve District 196 residents. To find program information go to District 196 Cable TV.
School Board Committees and Appointments
There are four ongoing School Board Committees and board members serve appointments on numerous districtwide councils and committees, and state organizations.
- Audit and Finance Committee - reviews financial matters with the assistance of the superintendent and designated staff. Members are liaisons to the district Budget Advisory Council (BAC).
- Curriculum and Instruction Committee - works with the superintendent, director of teaching and learning, and others to review, study and, as requested, develop recommendations pertaining to what and how students are taught. Members are liaisons to the Curriculum and Instruction Advisory Council (CIAC) and the Gifted and Talented Advisory Council. (According to Administrative Regulation 201.6AR School Board Committee Descriptions, the GTAC liaison is to come from the Board Curriculum and Instruction Committee.).
- Legislative Committee – develops and promotes legislative efforts that support District 196 programs.
- Policy Review Committee - reviews new and revised School Board policies that would not logically be reviewed by another board committee before they are presented to the full board.
For more information about the District 196 School Board, contact Secretary to the School Board Julie Vreyens at 651-423-7723 or firstname.lastname@example.org.