Rules for taking medications while at school
To ensure students receive needed medication and that it is not misused, the school district has developed rules for the administration of medication in school.
Please note the following points:
- All prescription medication must be kept in the office of the school nurse and must be administered by the school nurse or other appropriate school personnel.
- A completed Prescription Medication Authorization Form from a student's parent or guardian and medication in a prescription bottle or original container, is required before a school nurse will give a student prescription or non-prescription medication.
- If medication is to be given for more than two weeks, a written order from a physician or dentist must be provided to the school.
- If prescription medication remains in the nurse's office after the end of a school year or when the student is no longer attending the school, the nurse will contact the student's parent or guardian to pick up the medication. If the medication is not picked up within one month, it will be destroyed.
- Questions concerning inhalers, insulin and Epi-Pens should be discussed with your school nurse.