ROSEMOUNT, Minn. -- Jackie Magnuson was re-elected chairperson of the District 196 School Board at the board's annual organization meeting Jan. 9. This will be Magnuson's seventh year as chairperson during her 22 years on the board. She was first elected to the board in 1989 and served as chairperson in 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2010 and 2011.
For the other officer positions, the board re-elected Rob Duchscher as vice chairperson, Joel Albright as clerk and Art Coulson as treasurer. At its Jan. 9 organization meeting, the board also approved assignments to four board committees and appointments to organizations on which the School Board is represented.
School Board committee assignments through December 2012 are as follows:
- Audit and Finance Committee -- Bob Schutte, chairperson, Duchscher and Gary Huusko;
- Curriculum and Instruction Committee -- Magnuson, chairperson, Albright, Schutte and Coulson;
- Legislative Committee -- Coulson, chairperson, Huusko and Magnuson, and
- Policy Review Committee -- Duchscher, chairperson, Albright and Mike Roseen.
The following appointments were also approved for the year:
- Association of Metropolitan School Districts -- Albright and Schutte;
- Community Collaboration Council -- Magnuson;
- Community Education Advisory Council -- Huusko, Roseen and Schutte;
- Continuing Education/Vocational Re-licensure -- Magnuson;
- Gifted and Talented Advisory Council -- Coulson;
- Metropolitan Educational Cooperative Service Unit -- Magnuson;
- Middle School Program Review Steering Committee -- Albright and Magnuson;
- Minnesota State High School League -- Duchscher and Roseen;
- Native American Parent Advisory Committee -- Coulson;
- Q Comp Educational Improvement Planning Team -- Coulson;
- Schools for Equity in Education -- Albright and Schutte;
- Special Education Advisory Council -- Albright, and
- Technology & Information Educational Services -- Albright and Coulson.
The School Board typically holds regular meetings on the second and/or fourth Monday of each month beginning at 6 p.m., at Dakota Ridge School, 4629 144th St. W., Apple Valley. All regular board meetings are videotaped for playback on District 196 TV on local educational access channels serving the district and are available to webstream on demand at District196.org the morning following each regular meeting. For more information about School Board meetings, visit the School Board page at District196.org or call the Superintendent's Office at 651-423-7723.
District 196 serves approximately 27,500 students in early childhood, K-12 and special education programs combined, and offers community education programs for residents of all ages. District 196 includes all or part of Rosemount, Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville, Coates, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville and Empire and Vermillion townships. For more information, visit www.district196.org.|